Protect Yourself Against Scammers - Printable Version
+- Club of Mozambique Classifieds (http://www.clubofmozambique.com/solutions1/myBB)
+-- Forum: Introduction (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Read me first !!! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Protect Yourself Against Scammers (/showthread.php?tid=1121)
Protect Yourself Against Scammers - administrator - 03-19-2009 09:11 AM
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
• DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on Club of Mozambique Classifieds.
• NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
• FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
• CLUB OF MOZAMBIQUE IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification".
• NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (i.e. bank account number)
• AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
• Inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
• Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, or a "guarantee"
• Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction
If you suspect that an item posted for sale on club of Mozambique Classifieds may be part of a scam, please email the details to "firstname.lastname@example.org". Be sure to include the URL (or scammer nickname) in your message.